Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is my variation of chili. I usually cook it with ground venison, though it tastes just as good with ground beef, and I am sure ground turkey would be fine as well. I use a 4.5 qt slow cooker.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb venison
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 15 1⁄2 ounces light red kidney beans, drained
- 15 1⁄2 ounces dark red kidney beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Cook and drain meat.
- Add all ingredients except cheese to the crock pot.
- Mix ingredients well
- Cook on low heat for 6 hours.
- When serving, top each bowl with shredded cheese.
Very easy to prepare, especially since I chopped the onion and cooked the meat the night before, so when it came time to put the ingredients together, it was pretty much "zip zip zip!" Even with only 1/2 the onion, it was a bit too oniony for my personal taste, but my husband wolfed down a big bowl and froze the rest for later consumption. Overall a good chili.