Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I use Kitchen Bouquet for the browning and seasoning sauce
Make and share this Slow Cooker Hearty Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 3 carrots, peeled, sliced
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalk celery, sliced
- 907.18 g stewing beef, cubed
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 236.59 ml beef broth
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 9.85 ml browning sauce
- arrange vegetables in a slow cooker -- top with beef chunks.set aside.
- mix flour, salt, pepper and sprinkle over meat.
- stir well -- add remaining ingredients.
- cover, heat on low setting for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours --
- remove and discard bay leaf.
- You know I find it easy to convert any favorite stre recipe from stove top to slow cooker -- if it usually simmmers 35-45 minutes.that equals 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high -- Recipes that cook 1-3 hours will be done in 8-12 hours on low or 4-6 on high.at least that is what I use as a guideline.
I made this on 7/30/12 for mine and my SO's dinner. There were a few changes made to the recipe,I used the full amount of the carrots,potatoes,and onion.I only had a little over a pound of stew meat,which was tossed with the flour,salt& pepper. For a bit more color, the flour coated meat was browned in a bit of hamburger "drippings". I didn't have any celery, so a couple of shakes of dried celery flakes were used.No beef broth was on hand, so 1 cup of water and a beef bouillon cube was used. For the paprika, a Smoked Spanish Paprika was used. After adding the remaining ingredients, it only took about 6 hours for the stew to be done. Thanks for a recipe that will be made again. " Keep Smiling :) "
This was easy and delicious! I didn't use browning sauce (didn't have any) and used vegetable broth (all I had). I also used sweet potatoes, as suggested below, and they were fantastic! The stew was so tasty and really tender. Thanks for the recipe!
I subbed sweet potatoes for the potatoes, and used a whisker of chili powder as I was out of paprika. It took 7 hours on low, meat tender. Served with mashed potatoes, the gravy was delicious. I browned the floured meat beforehand, but next time might try it as written. I also only used half a teaspoon of salt but it was good. An easy tasty meal.