From the FoodTV website, this soup has wonderful flavour and is so easy to prepare. Serve with multigrain bread and corn on the cob for a complete meal.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup mixed vegetables
- 1 (14 ounce) can baked beans (Use beans in maple syrup if you can)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash Herb and Garlic blend)
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 (19 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Brown the ground beef in a non-stick pan and pour off the fat.
- Add to the slow cooker and combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
This was a terrific soup. It started out sounding like a chili recipe, but as a chili afficianado, I learned different. I added close to a TBS of chili powder instead of 1 tsp, and also threw in tsp of cajun seasoning. It was nice and spicy. (Wife said it would have been too for kids and wimpy people) I just loved it with some good crusty bread.
I made this with 1lb. lean ground turkey and 1/2lb lean ground beef, and followed the rest of the recipe as stated. It was very good and I certainly will make it again for sure.
This is fantastic!! My husband gets home from work late, and I'm in bed already, so I like to have warm meals waiting for him. This was perfect...I stole a bowl full after only 4 hours of cooking and it was still great. I accidently used 1 tablespoon of chili powder instead of 1 teaspoon but I liked it...I think I'll always make it that way! I used some frozen mixed veggies (chopped carrot, corn, green beans and peas). I think you could easily double the amount of the veggies. The flavor was great and it was so easy to make! This is going into the keeper file for sure! Thanks so much for posting!! Made for the Photo Forum's January Event: Bellywarmers: Soups & Stews!