Recipe by charlaro
Slow cooker Ham and Beans soup! I use my leftover meaty ham bone from Easter just like my mom used too. You'll love the way the ham falls off the bone as you shred it for the soup. Throw in all the ingredients and let it cook all day and then enjoy. Don't forget the chunky bread to dip in the soup.
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups dried navy beans
- 3 large carrots, Chopped
- 3 celery & leaves, chopped
- 2 small white onions, Chopped
- 5 cups water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- You will need a large crock pot.
- Soak navy beans over night or for 12 hours in large bowl. Drain beans and reserve liquid.
- Place beans in slow cooker.
- Place Meaty Ham Bone on top of beans.
- Place vegetables around ham.
- Using reserved liquid, measure 5 cups of bean water and pour over ham and vegetables.
- Cover with Lid and slow cook for 8-10 hours. When done, the meat should be falling off the bone and the beans should be soft.
- Removed bone and meat. Discard bone and shred meat with forks.
- Place meat back in soup. Remove any excess vegetables you do not want.
- With large spoon, smash some of the beans against the side of the crock pot. Do this a few times. It makes the soup creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.