9 hrs 30 mins
I saw this recipe deomonstratd on tv during a PBS telethon. It looked so good, that I made a donation in order to get the cookbook. I have not tried this recipe yet, but it sure looked good. Surprisingly, this recipe does not start with a roux, so this isn't quite a traditional version. Adapted from "5 Tastes of the South."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 cups smoked sausage, cut into thin rounds
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups okra, chopped
- 2 cups bell peppers, chopped
- 2 quarts canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon powder or 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder or 4 bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups seafood (they used a little of both)
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked instant rice (Minute Rice)
- red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, to taste
- file powder, to taste
- 1Brown the sausage slices in a skillet for a few minutes to brown each side.
- 2Add the first 11 ingredients to the crock pot (sausage through garlic salt).
- 3Cook on medium setting for 8 hours.
- 4Taste and adjust seasonings, then add uncooked Minute Rice, cooked chicken or seafood, and a shake of red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste, stirring well.
- 5Let cook another 30 minutes.
- 6Serve in bowls over a scoop of cooked white rice and garnished with file powder- or just serve in bowls as is, as a soup.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (426 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.6
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 26.2 mg
- Sodium 429.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 13.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: