Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Want the taste of green beans canned from a garden, but aren't able to can? This is a wonderful substitute. I learned this technique from a good friend. Put it in the crockpot on low before you head to church, put a roast or chicken in another crockpot, and come home to a wonderful, warm Sunday dinner!
- fat, back (approx 1/2 in. slice. Not too much!) or salt pork (approx 1/2 in. slice. Not too much!)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- dried onion flakes (optional)
- Pour green beans into slow cooker, do NOT drain.
- Add 3/4 cup of water.
- Add salt, pepper, minced onion or onion powder as desired (remember: salt pork will add more salt to the dish, and the beans have salt already, so don't over do it! You can always add more salt before serving or at the table.).
- Add a 1/2 inch slice of salt pork (I keep mine in the freezer to use as needed).
- Preferred method: If you have time, put the crock on high & allow the beans to come to a good simmer, then reduce heat to low for 3-4 hours. If you don't have time to let them come to a simmer on high, cook them on low for about 5 hours.