Recipe by New Mommy and Lovin' It
I found this recipe in Parents Magazine [November 2006]. I like that its "healthier," in that they use AJ concentrate and not oil. When I made it, I substituted Splenda Brown Sugar, for fewer calories.
- 2 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 3⁄4 cup coconut flakes
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate (thawed)
- 1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar blend or 2 tablespoons regular brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 ounces dried cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- In your slow-cooker [crockpot], stir together the oats, almonds, coconut, and wheat germ.
- In a seperate microwaveable bowl, mix honey, apple juice concentrate, br. sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Microwave for one minute.
- Pour the liquid into the slow cooker and stir until evenly coated.
- Cook for one hour on high, UNCOVERED.
- Then cook four hours on low, COVERED.
- Periodically, stir the granola. It will be a nice toasted-brown color.
- When done, stir in the cranberries. PLEASE, DO NOT ADD THE CRANBERRIES EARLIER! if they cook in the crockpot with everything else, it will burn and became a huge mess. [I'm speaking from experience here.]
- Store in an airtight container.
- It should yield approximately ten 1/2C servings.