Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a take off on Chef Gonzalez "Best Chili and Easy Too" from Food.com Chili recipes. Long story made short, I began prep without being sure that all of the ingredients were at the ready. After 2 hours of actual cook time, I took a taste and found my concoction WAY too spicey and in severe need of modification. Hence, the addition of the apples, sugar, lemon juice, tomato sauce and another can of beans as a desperate attempt to save my mixture from the garbage disposal. 4 hours later, the finished product was not only edible but probably the best chili we have ever had! My husband gave it a 10. I served this with homemade cornbread (a mixture of yellow and white) with a small green salad.
- 2 lbs london broil beef
- 1 large onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1 (8 ounce) canhunt's no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) canhunt's tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canhunt's Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) canss&w low-sodium pinto beans
- 2 (15 ounce) canss&w low-sodium black beans
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) cans&w low-sodium kidney beans
- 1 (4 ounce) canortega mild diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Cut London Broil into 1 inch or smaller pieces while removing all visible fat.
- Chop onion and garlic into skillet with olive oil. Add meat and brown.
- Place garlic, onion, and browned meat into slow cooker when ready.
- Add tomato sauce, paste, stewed tomatoes, diced green chiles, and beans to the slow cooker.
- Chop the Apples into bite-size pieces and toss them into the cooker.
- Squeeze lemon and strain juice to remove seeds.
- In measuring cup, mix together all dry seasoning with ½ cup water and lemon juice.
- Add additional ½ cup water and stir thouroughly with large kitchen spoon. until mixed.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.