Recipe by Pinay0618
Recipe is by Grace Parisi, posted at foodandwine.com.
Top Review by Edesia
This is a really tasty soup! I used 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice instead of the star anise pod because I didn't have it. I also used cremini instead of shiitakes because my store didn't have them. Very good. I'll definitely be making this soup again. Thanks for posting.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck, in one piece
- 8 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup very thinly sliced peeled ginger
- 2 tablespoons very thinly sliced peeled ginger
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 star anise, pod
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, caps only, thickly sliced
- 3 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb fresh Chinese egg noodles or 1 lb thick japanese udon noodles
- toasted sesame oil or hot chili oil, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a slow cooker, combine the meat with the broth, water, soy sauce, ginger, onion, garlic and star anise. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, until the meat is tender. Transfer the meat to a plate and let cool slightly. Using 2 forks, pull the meat into thick shreds.
- Strain the broth, discarding the solids. Return the broth to the cooker. Add the shiitakes, scallions and shredded meat. Cook on high for 15 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente. Drain well.
- Add the noodles to the soup. Serve in deep bowls, passing the sesame or chili oil at the table.