Recipe by COOKGIRl
For extra nutrition, leave potatoes unpeeled. To boost nutritional value further, add 2 cups chopped kale (chard, baby spinach, baby beet greens, etc.) to the slow cooker *just*before serving -about 5-15 minutes depending on which greens you choose. Kidney beans can replace garbanzo beans if you prefer and for additional color. A sun-dried tomato pesto would be an interesting change in place of traditional pesto. From Delicious Living magazine.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes (your choice to peel) or 1 1⁄2 lbs small white potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (your choice to peel)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (or equivalent amount of freshly cooked beans)
- 8 cups vegetable broth or 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups chopped kale (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup pesto sauce (homemade is preferred)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ingredients in slow cooker, adding the potatoes first.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 5-6 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls. For each serving, swirl approximately 1 tablespoon pesto into each bowl.
- Serve with crusty bread.