Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
The Everything Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook
Make and share this Slow Cooker French Toast Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 12 slices whole wheat bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1. Spray a 4-quart slow cooker with nonstick spray. Layer the bread in the slow cooker.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla, evaporated milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour over the bread.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove the lid and cook uncovered for 30 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
I quartered my bread and tried to soak it before putting in crock pot. Think it needs more eggs. Made a half batch in a 4 quart crock pot (with 3 eggs) and it was done in 5 1/2 hours on low. Served mine with two choices--apple topping or maple syrup. Made for Fall PAC 2011. Thanks hansje54 for sharing.
I know how difficult it can be to get eggs to cook properly in the crock pot. I put this on very late at night so that it wouldn't be overcooked in the morning. Still 6.5 hours later on low the outside was burnt, as I thought it might be. Unless someone has ideas to improve this or cook it more evenly , this will be the only time making it. I used a 6 qt cooker with a 8 or 10 hr low setting. I had it on the 10 hour setting.
Miserable failure in my crockpot! I have a bigger crockpot, and I can either put it on low for 8 or 10 hrs, not 6. I thought this would be great to set up the night before and have for breakfast on Easter. Nope. It was char. I probably could have put it on high while we went to church instead. Nice idea, didn't work at all for us. I guess I should stick with a casserole that I pop in the oven and cook relatively quickly.