I made this fantastic recipe for a big batch of onion soup that You can freeze in portions to use later. Serve this with a lovely red wine and salad and voilà for a romantic meal. These are 14 large servings so if you are serving this before a meal reduce the amount of soup in your bowl.
- Over medium heat sauté the onion in butter until soft and translucent and caramel colour. Make this in 3 batches.
- Place onions in slow cooker.
- Deglaze cooking skillet with some of the beef stock;this is the secret to that taste.
- Add to slow cooker along with the remaining beef broth (your own homemade or powdered mixed with boiling water).
- Add Worcestershire sauce, thyme and bay leaf.
- Cover; cook on High for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf.
- Divide soup into appropriate containers.
- Seal and freeze.
- When ready to enjoy your French Onion Soup.
- Remove from freezer and place in a microwave dish with 2 tbsp sherry; heat for 5 minutes.
- Add Parmesan cheese to your onion soup bowl. Place one slice of toasted bread over the cheese. Fill bowl with soup.
- Top with shredded Gruyère cheese.
- Place under broiler to melt your cheese.
- Tip: When adding your ingredients to the slow cooker make sure they are all hot.
- Use the processor to slice your onions. I once read 'If I use my food processor just to make onion soup it will be worth the cost".
- Bon Appettit!