1/3 Photos of Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
I made this fantastic recipe for a big batch of onion soup that You can freeze in portions to use later. Serve this with a lovely red wine and salad and voilà for a romantic meal. These are 14 large servings so if you are serving this before a meal reduce the amount of soup in your bowl.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 14 cups beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
For 2 servings
- 1Over medium heat sauté the onion in butter until soft and translucent and caramel colour. Make this in 3 batches.
- 2Place onions in slow cooker.
- 3Deglaze cooking skillet with some of the beef stock;this is the secret to that taste.
- 4Add to slow cooker along with the remaining beef broth (your own homemade or powdered mixed with boiling water).
- 5Add Worcestershire sauce, thyme and bay leaf.
- 6Cover; cook on High for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- 7Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf.
- 8Divide soup into appropriate containers.
- 9Seal and freeze.
- 10When ready to enjoy your French Onion Soup.
- 11Remove from freezer and place in a microwave dish with 2 tbsp sherry; heat for 5 minutes.
- 12Add Parmesan cheese to your onion soup bowl. Place one slice of toasted bread over the cheese. Fill bowl with soup.
- 13Top with shredded Gruyère cheese.
- 14Place under broiler to melt your cheese.
- 15Tip: When adding your ingredients to the slow cooker make sure they are all hot.
- 16Use the processor to slice your onions. I once read 'If I use my food processor just to make onion soup it will be worth the cost".
- 17Bon Appettit!
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.3
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 995.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 6.8 g