Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Don't like sweet peppers? In their place, try a sprig of rosemary for more flavor. I've not added salt for fear some would think it too salty, but my preference is to salt lightly. The roast and juices are perfect for a New Orleans-style "roast beef on French". Great for football parties, etc. Can be made ahead, frozen and rewarmed.
- 4 lbs rump roast (or bottom round, sirloin, etc.)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 beef bouillon, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 green pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 8 French rolls or 2 French baguettes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Place roast in slow cooker. Cover with broth, bouillon, water, soy sauce, black pepper, garlic, onions and peppers, if using. Salt the roast, if desired.
- Cook low for 7-9 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Split rolls or baguettes and brush with olive oil.
- Toast in oven until lightly browned.
- Top with cheese and toast until cheese just begins to melt.
- Thinly slice meat against grain and place on buns.
- Top with peppers and onions and serve with remaining juices for dipping.
Awesome recipe! It was great to just throw it in in the morning and have the meat fall apart when I got home and was ready to shred the meat. I made it with the peppers as we love them and it had great flavor. I have some leftover meat so I will use that to make homemade vegetable soup later on this week.
I had a crew working up at the lake so I needed something hardy to feed them. this did the trick, they loved it. I put it on early in the morning and it was ready for lunch. thanks
Definitely being added to my Best Of... cookbook! Loved how tender the meat was at the end - just used two forks and pulled it apart (had to use a top sirloin roast this go round) and I did use the red peppers and skipped on any salt as it was great just the way it was. Loved all the flavors - thought they were spot on. Found and made during ZWT8.