Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From 3-Ingredient Slow Cooker Comfort Foods Cookbook. It's that time of year here for wine, dip and cozy moments. Stoke the fire and set this with some lovely crusty bread (Panera's has some wonderful choices)
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 lb swiss cheese, grated (can use Emmental or Gruyere)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- Put the wine in the slow cooker and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Dredge the cheese in the flour.
- Add the cheese and flour, plus salt and pepper to taste, to the hot wine.
- Do not stir!
- Cover and cook for 1/2 hour.
- Stir until smooth.
- Continue to cook for 1/2 hour more.
- Stir to make sure there are no chunks of unmelted cheese remaining.
- *Your Preference: you can add a fiery cherry brandy (Kirshwasser) just before serving.
Oh dear, this was a dismal failure for me. It was something I could not serve, even to immediate family. Perhaps the cheese should have been grated first?? It doesn't say, so I added it in chunks, but it resulted in a big blobby mess that wouldn't combine, even with a desperately long attack with my hand blender. Thank goodness I had plenty of other food for the fondue, which all turned out well.
I loved making fondue this way. It was so much easier than on the stove, where I tend to burn the cheese. I served it right out of the crock. Dipped in bread, broccoli, carrots, shrimp, apple, and pear. Sprinkled on some nutmeg for added flavor. Amazing & simple!