Recipe by Baby Chevelle
An extremly good recipe and what could be better than a crock-pot recipe on a busy day. My family loves this, it is quite warming in the winter months, and is still a good dish in the summer. I think this is different than anything else I've seen on zaar, it comes from Taste of Home.
Top Review by O-mama
Another one that will go into occassional rotation...though I think I might like it more if my crockpot didn't seem to have a hot spot...must have rattled something when we moved. Had made a few changes to ours...I cook ground beef in bulk and then freeze it in 1c. increments so my beef useage was 2c. Adjusted amounts as follows: 2c. grnd beef 1/3c dried minced onion no green pepper (forgot to get some) used kidney rather than pinto used italian-style diced tomatoes added about 1/3 of a 4oz can of green chilies added an additional 1/4c water because of the dried onion (I hadn't rehydrated them) 1/2t chili pwd everything else remained the same except I used up the end of a bag of shredded colby jack before I started using the sharp and jack requested. We had added green enchilada sauce and sour cream upon serving. It actually ended up being a bit spicier than we would have prefered so next time I'll try omiting the chilies and reducing the chili pwd further. MIL didn't notice any variation in spiciness with or without the enchilada sauce. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans or 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 6 flour tortillas (6 or 7 inches)
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet, cook beef, onion, and green pepper until beef is browned and vegetables are tender;drain.
- Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine cheeses.
- In a 5qt crock-pot layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, one tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hrs or until heated through.