Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Crockpot recipe for South Beach Diet Phase 2.
Make and share this Slow-Cooker Enchiladas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canrotel original tomatoes and green chilies
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- Brown onion and beef, drain.
- Add next 7 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Combine cheeses.
- In slow cooker layer 3/4 c beef mixture, one tortilla and 1/3 c cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hrs or until heated through.
The concept is good, but we found the flavor to be very much lacking. There were also a few issues with things burning on to the sides of the Crock Pot, but it wasn't too bad. I will be trying this again using a different sauce/spice combo, to see if that perks up the flavor.
I made a few modifications to the recipe when I made them. I diced up 2 jalapenos, 3 fresno peppers, added 2 small cans of fire roasted green chiles and did the whole green pepper and whole onion. I also did a layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom and the top and used the entire packages of cheese. I made them for a work function and they were very well received.