Recipe by Faith77
This recipe is just so good. The roast comes out nice a tender with great gravy. I got this recipe from the 150 best slow cooker recipes, by Judith Finlayson. I have made 3 things out of this book at the time being and every thing is very good. I will post more as I come by my favs. REMEMBER: That you should know your slow cooker. Slow cookers vary in cooking speed, hence the reason why there is a gap in cooking time. Enjoy.
Top Review by BarryID
Great recipe -- one or two changes, though. I used tomato sauce instead of tomato soup, and added a 1/2 of a small can of tomato paste. It made for a richer gravy and I agree that it made the whole house smell like dinner all day long
- 3 -4 lbs beef roast or 3 -4 lbs cross-rib roasts or 3 -4 lbs rump roast, about
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed beef broth (undiluted)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (optional) or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat roast dry with paper towel.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add roast and cook, turning, until brown on all sides, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add onions, celery and carrots to pan and cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened.
- Add garlic, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle mixture with flour and stir.
- Add tomato soup and beef broth and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour mixture over roast, cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours or on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours, until meat is very tender.
- Remove roast from slow cooker and place on serving platter.
- Stir in brown sugar and vinegar, if using, to pan juices.
- Pour sauce over roast or serve in a separate sauce boat.