Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs 30 mins
This makes such a great chicken burrito filling but is also good eaten on its own! The recipe originally came from the taste of home website but I have changed it so much that it is unrecognizable in comparison to the original! This is pretty spicy so if you want it to be milder reduce the amount of cayenne pepper. If I am serving this plain instead of in burritos I will cube the chicken instead of shredding it.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, frozen (or use 6 frozen boneless skinless chicken breast halves)
- 304.75 g can cream of shrimp soup (or cream of chicken soup)
- 85.04 g whole milk
- 9.85 ml curry powder
- 4.92 ml cayenne pepper
- 2.46 ml ground turmeric
- 425.24 g can black beans, undrained
- 709.77 ml water
- 709.77 ml instant rice
- 29.58 ml lime juice
- Put the frozen chicken breasts in a large slow cooker.
- Mix together the soup, milk and spices and pour over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Shred chicken and add it back to the sauce in the slow cooker. Add the black beans with their liquid and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for another hour to heat the beans.
- In the meantime, bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepot. Add the rice and turn off the heat but leave the pot on the burner. Put a tight fitting lid on the pan and let it sit for 10 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Add the cooked rice and the lime juice to the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes to allow the rice to absorb all the excess liquid in the slow cooker.
- Serve in warmed tortillas as a burrito filling or eat plain!