Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I couldn't find a satisfying slow cooker recipe for curry chicken, so I decided to create my own, combining the best parts of several recipes. The ingredients noted as optional can be added if you like an extra kick. I used a 6.5-quart Crock Pot for this meal, but it should fit in a 5-quart just fine.
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed & cubed
- 2 large potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 12 ounces coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Place the wet ingredients into the crock (wine, coconut milk, water).
- Add spices (garlic, ginger, curry powder, cinnamon stick), peanut butter and bouillon cube, stir well.
- Salt and pepper chicken pieces as desired, then add to crock along with potatoes and onion, stir well to coat.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours, stirring once or twice.
- If a thicker consistency is desired once cooked, combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water and mix well. Stir slowly into crock and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes on high.
- Serve over noodles or rice of choice, garnished with cilantro.
Unfortunately, this was very bland and so disappointing. Still looking for a great crock pot curry recipe...
i think there are too many different flavors here i used a different recipe for curry chicken last week and it was much simpler yet much tastier DH said it was plain and unfulfilling
This is really really good. I followed the recipe pretty much as shown except I substituted chicken broth in place of the white wine. Served over pasta this was really delicious. Some may find the heat as shown to be a bit much, but I have a pretty high tolerance. Thanks to Matt & Mollee