Recipe by Sonya01
Got a slow cooker? Then try this delicious chicken curry. If you don't have a slow cooker, never fear, just cook it for a long time over a gentle heat. Note: Curry pastes vary in heat rating - adjust the amounts to suit your requirements
Top Review by PaulaG
I love crock pot dishes. They make entertaining so much easier. There seemed to be a lot of sauce so the last 45 minutes, I added in some sliced carrots and zucchini squash. The curry was served over jasmine rice. I did substitute soy sauce for the fish sauce and used 2 oz of the red curry paste. Made for Happy Hearts in the Diabetic Forum.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillet, trimmed, cut in half crossways
- 114 g Thai red curry paste (see note)
- 1 cup continental real chicken stock
- 150 g fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems trimmed, halved
- 230 g sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 140 ml coconut milk
- 1⁄3 cup basil leaves
- steamed jasmine rice, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 1 to 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reduce frying pan heat to low. Add remaining oil to pan. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add stock and stir until curry paste has dissolved. Add mushroom and bamboo shoots. Pour mixture over chicken and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 1/2 hours. Combine fish sauce, sugar and coconut milk in a jug. Stir into curry. Cover and cook on HIGH for a further 30 minutes.
- Stir in basil. Spoon curry over rice. Serve.