Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is from the website crockpot365.blogspot.com by Stephanie O'Dea. She actually has a new book out called "Make It Fast, Cook It Slow". Stephanie spent over a year cooking every single meal and dessert in crock pots. She is really nice; before her book came out we corresponded a few times. This recipe seemed so different than anything else that I could find on Recipezaar. I have not yet made this layered meal, but it does sound great!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemons or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or 2 tablespoons walnuts or 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken thighs or 4 chicken breast halves
- sliced mozzarella cheese (I used string cheese!)
- aluminum foil or parchment paper
- 4 small sweet potatoes, washed well, skin on
- Use a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Blend or food process the first seven ingredients. (If you get to the chicken, you've gone too far.).
- Take a small taste to double check the flavor of your pesto and adjust as needed.
- Arrange the chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker. Chicken may be used frozen.
- Layer on the mozzarella cheese.
- Pour on the pesto.
- Cover with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Scrub sweet potatoes well and prick with a fork or other puncturing object.
- Lay them on top of the foil or parchment, of course.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-5.
- If your chicken is frozen, it will take longer.
- When done, carefully remove the sweet potatoes with tongs.
- Watch out for steam. [As a side note, I am the queen of steam burns. Oops, forgot the mitt again.].