Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This is a soup my mother fixed often when I was a child. It's not easy to find oxtails but the search is definitely worth it. I had a friend once who bought a side of beef and was going to throw away the tail. I snatched them out of her hand and hugging them to my chest, ran home and made oxtail soup. I brought her a bowl and after much hesitation she tried it. That was the last time she gave me these choice bones.
- Saute celery and onions till tender.
- In slow cooker, add water, oxtail, potatoes, carrots, peppercorns, bay leaves, celery, onion, and salt. If using regular barley, add at this time too.
- Cover and simmer for 8- 10 hours, until meat is tender, potatoes and carrots are cooked, and barley is tender.
- When meat is tender, take meat off bones and return to broth.
- Bring broth to boil and add quick-cooking barley and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Note: Beef shanks, neck or other bones with meat remaining on them may be used in place of oxtail.
wow! Great taste. The only change I made was to coat oxtails in flour and brown them on all sides before putting them in the crockpot. A definite keeper!
My DH & I loved this recipe! It's hands down, the easiest Oxtail Soup I'ev ever made. I made two small amendments: 1) I browned the oxtails in the oven under a high broiler for 3 minutes per side for some extra flavor. 2)I doubled the amound of carrots and cut them into 1" slices on the bias. We'll be making this again. Thanks for posting!
I have to say this is the easiest and best oxtail soup I have ever made. The only thing that I changed was I used regular barley and put it in, in the beginning as the tomatos too. I also used a 32 oz box of beef broth as part of the water. Cooked it 10 hours in crockpot and when I got home from work it smelled delish. My family was already eating it. Very very good. Did not need to brown the oxtails but mom never did when when I was growing up so I am use to it. Paula Deen has a great recipe for braised oxtails made in the oven. I love oxtails, glad to see people like them also.