1/2 Photos of Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Oxtail Barley Soup
9 hrs 30 mins
This is a soup my mother fixed often when I was a child. It's not easy to find oxtails but the search is definitely worth it. I had a friend once who bought a side of beef and was going to throw away the tail. I snatched them out of her hand and hugging them to my chest, ran home and made oxtail soup. I brought her a bowl and after much hesitation she tried it. That was the last time she gave me these choice bones.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Saute celery and onions till tender.
- 2In slow cooker, add water, oxtail, potatoes, carrots, peppercorns, bay leaves, celery, onion, and salt. If using regular barley, add at this time too.
- 3Cover and simmer for 8- 10 hours, until meat is tender, potatoes and carrots are cooked, and barley is tender.
- 4When meat is tender, take meat off bones and return to broth.
- 5Bring broth to boil and add quick-cooking barley and tomatoes.
- 6Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- 7Note: Beef shanks, neck or other bones with meat remaining on them may be used in place of oxtail.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Oxtail Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (636 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.1
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 637.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: