Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is just outstanding, and easy. Your house will smell amazing. It's an adaption of my other recipe, which is Brigitte Hafner's.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges
- 1 kg beef brisket (gravy beef, or shank)
- 400 g coconut cream
- 3⁄4-1 cup massaman curry paste (bought or made)
- 250 ml water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 waxy potatoes, peeled and diced in 2-3cm cubes
- 2 -3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons roasted peanuts, crushed
- 3 sprigs coriander, chopped
- Trim meat of excess fat and sinew and cut into 2-3cm cubes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pot and fry the onion until brown.
- Add the meat, season and continue to brown all over.
- Add curry paste, heat through until fragrant. Add half the coconut cream, lower the heat and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- Put the potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour the mix on top of the potatoes.
- Add the water, remaining coconut cream, cinnamon and bay leaves and cook on LOW, covered, for 8 hours.
- In the last hour, season to taste with fish sauce, palm sugar and tamarind paste. (I like to add a few handfuls of peanuts, too).
- Garnish with peanuts and coriander and serve with steamed basmati or jasmine rice.
This is a great recipe, don't listen to the negative review I think its all about the cook if such a good dish doesn't turn out. Make sure you do a home-made paste, this way you ca control the chilli content (and i like plenty of chillies) her is a link to a massaman home made paste http://www.food.com/recipe/massamun-curry-paste-41591
I also changed the coconut milk to low fat carnation milk but only added 10% during cooking and other 90% in last hour with the fish sauce and palm suger. and I used good quality Osso Bucco even better. Good luck.
Incredible flavor..the only problem I had was it was extremely oily! Maybe next time I'll try using coconut milk instead. Either than that it was delicious. Thank you
This is a wonderful recipe Chickee. I had everything ready and was about to start the recipe, when I was called into work, so I threw the recipe and ingredients at DH and said "follow the recipe and you'll be fine!" I came home to a wonderful dinner. I loved it and so did DH and DD. I know the recipe was followed exactly and the curry turned out absolutely superb. The meat was so tender and it wasnt too hot or spicy either. Will ba making this again... well actually DH will !!!!! ;-)