1/3 Photos of Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Massaman Curry
8 hrs 30 mins
This is just outstanding, and easy. Your house will smell amazing. It's an adaption of my other recipe, which is Brigitte Hafner's.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges
- 1 kg beef brisket (gravy beef, or shank)
- 400 g coconut cream
- 3/4-1 cup massaman curry paste (bought or made)
- 250 ml water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 waxy potatoes, peeled and diced in 2-3cm cubes
- 2 -3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons roasted peanuts, crushed
- 3 sprigs coriander, chopped
- 1Trim meat of excess fat and sinew and cut into 2-3cm cubes.
- 2Heat the oil in a heavy-based pot and fry the onion until brown.
- 3Add the meat, season and continue to brown all over.
- 4Add curry paste, heat through until fragrant. Add half the coconut cream, lower the heat and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- 5Put the potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- 6Pour the mix on top of the potatoes.
- 7Add the water, remaining coconut cream, cinnamon and bay leaves and cook on LOW, covered, for 8 hours.
- 8In the last hour, season to taste with fish sauce, palm sugar and tamarind paste. (I like to add a few handfuls of peanuts, too).
- 9Garnish with peanuts and coriander and serve with steamed basmati or jasmine rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Massaman Curry
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.1
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 77.5 mg
- Sodium 544.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 33.5 g
- Protein 33.2 g