Prep 7 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I just found this in a slow cooker cookbook and it is slow cooking in my crockpot as I type lol! The house smells wonderful so I'm hoping this soup tastes just as good as it smells. It is a very easy recipe to throw together, great for a fall day!
- 6 ounces portabella mushrooms, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon margarine, tub-style
- 2 (14 ounce) cans nonfat beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Sauté mushrooms and onions over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer to crock pot.
- Stir in broth, barley, sherry, sage, garlic and white pepper.
- Cover and cook on low until the barley is tender, 6 to 8 hours (or high 4 to 6 hours).
- Stir in the milk and cook until hot 15 to 30 minutes.
- Ladle into bowl, garnish with parsley and serve!
it freezes well, and still tastes fantastic. recomend freezing without milk or cream, just so it does not 'break' when re-heating
This is incredible! The first day it tasted so good, we didn't even add the milk. The second day, I did add the milk and it was even better. Nice, hearty soup with tons of flavor.
I doubled the barley and the mushrooms. It was delicious, especially after it sat overnight. My only issue was that I cooked it on low for about 5 hours, and for me, the barley was too cooked. It could be my slow cooker, but next time I will cook the barley for less time.