Recipe by Suzanne S.
Rich and velvety, this creamy tomato and basil soup is perfect for a chilly night! Recipe from the Chunky Chef blog
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 cloves large garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable stock, to make it vegetarian
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
For the Roux
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, onion, basil, salt, pepper, heavy cream and vegetable or chicken broth to your crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (although it can be done on high for 2 hours as well). Stir occasionally and scrape down the sides (if you can).
- minutes before serving, transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return to crockpot.
- Make your roux by melting your butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until it's incorporated. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream until the cream is smooth and thickened.
- Add Parmesan cheese and roux to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook for another 20-30 minutes. Cheese should be completely melted into the soup. Stir thoroughly before serving. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and basil if desired.