Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Taken from Real Simple Magazine. Posted as printed in the magazine. After making it, I would use chicken stock in lieu of the water to boost the chicken flavor. Also, I think chunks of breast meat would give it a better texture, the thigh meat became stringy, we longed for a big bite of chicken.
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and halved if large
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed (half a 17.3-ounce package)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the mushrooms, carrots, onion, flour, thyme, bay leaf, and ½ cup water. Place the chicken on top; season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- Thirty minutes before serving, heat oven to 425°F Using a 4½-inch cutter or large glass, cut the pastry into 4 circles. Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Ten minutes before serving, add the peas, green beans, cream, and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high or low until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more. To serve, place the chicken mixture in bowls and top with the pastry rounds.