Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From Family Circle magazine
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (20 ounce) package frozen broccoli cuts, thawed
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 7 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄3 cups instant mashed potatoes
- Combine broth, milk, broccoli, onion, pepper and 1 cup water in slow cooker bowl.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours.
- Whisk Velveeta into slow cooker until smooth.
- Sprinkle instant potatoes over soup and whisk to combine.
- Serve immediately.
This is delicious! I switched it up a bit. I cooked it on the stove top only because we wanted it for lunch, not dinner. It was ready in a hour. I also added 4 cups of cooked, diced potato to it along with 1 garlic clove minced. When it was time to serve I topped our bowls with a dollop of cream cheese and sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon on top. Delicious!
This is good and very easy to make. I made this as written, but used fresh broccoli in place of frozen. The instant mashed potatoes thickened this nicely, but I found that they took over the flavor of the soup. In my opinion, it tasted too much like watery instant mashed potatoes. Overall, it was good, but next time I'd cut the amount of instant potatoes in half. Thanx for sharing!