Recipe by Marcie Booker
Yup, this Slow Cooker Corn and Red Pepper Chowder hits all the right marks. Hearty, creamy, satisfying, chock-full of sweet corn countered perfectly by smoky red bell pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, and a smidge of cayenne.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onions, diced or 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 medium yukon gold potatoes, diced or 3 cups yukon gold potatoes or 1 lb yukon gold potato
- 4 cups frozen corn kernels
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup almond milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until transparent and soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onion to the slow cooker, along with the red bell pepper, potatoes, 1 cup corn, broth, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours, until the potatoes are tender.
- Turn the slow cooker off and remove the lid. Allow the soup to cool slightly. Using an immersion blender or working in batches with a regular blender, puree the soup. Return it to the slow cooker and turn it back on.
- Stir in the remaining 3 cups corn and soy milk. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for another 20-30 minutes, until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with additional corn, diced bell pepper, and/or sliced scallions.