Recipe by ewells
I found this in my Southern Living Ultimate Quick and Easy cookbook and made it last night for the first time. This one's definitely a "keeper," as my husband puts it. Even our notoriously picky 3 year old loved it, if that tells you anything!
Top Review by dpsarge
A hit with my always ravenous teenage sons. One of my boys isn't a huge fan of 'chunky onions' so I cooked them down a bit before putting them in the bottom of the slow cooker. Once done cooking I then ran the onions through the food processor and added them to the BBQ sauce mixture before adding the shredded beef back to the pot. I also increased the BBQ sauce to 3/4 cup. The recipe says 'Serves 6' but in a three person household with two teenage boys we barely had enough leftovers for Dad to have one sandwich for lunch the next day!
- 2 lbs chuck roast
- 3⁄4 cup cola drink
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce (your choice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onions and place in bottom of 4 quart slow cooker.
- Trim all visible fat off of roast, cut in half to ensure even cooking, and place on top of onions.
- Mix cola, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and minced garlic.
- Reserve 1/2 cup for use later, and pour the rest over the meat.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 10 hours.
- When meat is done cooking and is very tender, remove meat and onions from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
- Discard cooking liquid in slow cooker.
- Add reserved sauce mixture and 1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce to slow cooker and cook uncovered on high for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred roast with two forks.
- When sauce is finished, return shredded beef and onions to slow cooker, stir well, cover, and cook until heated through--about 10 minutes on high.