Recipe by Debra1113
This is my favourite version of chili, that I make often. It freezes wonderfully for a great make-ahead meal or freeze the leftovers for lunches or a quick dinner. It is not overly spicy so my daughter will eat it! If you like things spicy, increase the chili powder and cumin. One tip if your child still finds it too spicy, is to add additional canned beans in tomato sauce to their portion. It works! :) This is great with corn bread on the side. NOTE: You can substitute part of the ground beef with TVP (textured vegetable protein, SOY) without reconstituting first. I substitute 1/4 - 1/2 lb of the ground beef with 1/4 - 1/2 cup TVP bits. Add this into the pot with the other ingredients, do not saute with the ground beef.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (about 1 small onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (796 ml) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (796 ml) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (398 ml) can baked beans in tomato sauce, undrained
- 1 (398 ml) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (284 ml) can canned mushroom slices, drained (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In frying pan, saute ground beef, onions and garlic until beef is browned and onions are translucent. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients to pot and mix well.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- To FREEZE: Cool completely, freeze in desired portions in freezer bags or containers.
- To REHEAT: Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat in saucepan until heated through, OR reheat it in the microwave after it's defrosted, and if it's not fully defrosted I use the microwave defrost first, then reheat on high until hot, really quick. :).