Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe started as a chicken cacciatore that I found here. By rebalancing the ingredients and adding the apple and turnip, I gave it a Polish twist.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 medium onion, sliced thickly
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium gala apples, cut into eights
- 1 large turnip, cut into wedges
- 6 san marzano tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (not cooking wine, something good enough to drink)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- black pepper
- kosher salt
- 1. Spread olive oil in the bottom of the stoneware.
- 2. Spread sliced onions and pepper strips across the bottom of stoneware.
- 3. Butterfly the chicken and remove all visible fat; sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper.
- 4. Fit as many apple wedges as possible into the chicken, then tie closed with string.
- 5. Place the chicken over the onions and peppers and surround it with the remaining apple wedges; turnip wedges and the tomato halves.
- 6. Layer mushrooms and garlic over chicken.
- 7. In a mixing bowl, combine and whisk, the chicken broth, wine, tomato paste, flour, marjoram, oregano and thyme.
- 8. Spread the mixture evenly over the chicken.
- 9. Cover and cook on high 6 hour setting.