Recipe by Foxxyladyone
This is an adaptation of my favorite chicken tortilla soup recipe. If you have the calories to spare, make some tortilla chips in the oven to eat with the soup and top with a bit of sour cream, cheese, avocado and anything else you like! It is very flavorful on it's own, though. Be sure to use high-quality enchilada sauce, as some brands can be greasy. I like to add other veggies in sometimes, such as carrots and squash.
Top Review by LindsyMarie
This soup was good, but lacked flavor...it tasted pretty watery and was really thin. I am used to a thicker chicken tortilla soup like you get at a restaurant. I'll try to make some adjustments to the recipe and see if I can make it work.
- 3 raw boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chili peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can99% fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from soup and shred. Return chicken to soup, stir, and serve.
- We like things spicy and flavorful, so I also add in a dash or two of cayenne.
- Number of Servings: 8.