Recipe by gailanng
If you can't find tomato puree, you can substitute tomato paste mixed with water. Using regular canned tomatoes will not produce a rich red sauce. From Cooking Classy's blog.
Top Review by sum dum girl
don't let the small number of reviews deter you; this recipe is fantastic! We, as another reviewer did, added more guram masala near the end of cooking to maintain the flavors. We also added twice as much cream because we like it creamy. Don't judge. I didn't need to add the cornstarch bc it thickened up nicely on its own. It was amazing and I am definitely making it again. Thank you!
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 3 lbs)
- 1⁄2 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, sliced in half and seeds removed
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato puree (Contadina Brand recommended)
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- long grain white rice or basmati rice, cooked
- chopped cilantro, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl combine chopped onions, minced garlic, grated ginger, sliced jalapeno, tomato puree, plain yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, Garam Masala, cumin, paprika, salt, cinnamon, pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir until combine.
- Pour half of sauce mixture into a large slow cooker then add in diced chicken followed then cover chicken with remaining sauce. Add in 2 bay leaves.
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low heat for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together heavy cream and cornstarch, pour mixture into slow cooker and gently stir. Allow mixture to cook 20 minutes while you prepare the rice.
- Remove bay leaves and sliced jalapeno and serve warm over rice and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.