Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
So very easy and tastes great! Found this in Cooking Light magazine. Note: you can also add 1-8oz package of pre-sliced mushrooms, we just don't care for them and so took it out the recipe. Chicken comes out so soft it just falls apart, although the sauce may need to be thickened slightly. I serve with white rice, basmatti rice, or couscous. Also it freezes well if you would like to enjoy your leftovers at a later date. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, fat trimmed off and meat cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 cups onions, chopped (I use sweet onions)
- 1 1⁄4 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground is best
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-fat sour cream
- Chop chicken and combine with flour in a zip-lock bag (or bowl), mix well so flour evenly coats every piece of chicken. Add chicken and flour to electric slow cooker.
- Chop onion and red bell pepper, shred carrot, and add all these to slow cooker. Now add chicken broth, paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper to rest of mixture in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Serving size is 1 cup. Enjoy!
I Made this today, and well lets just say it needed something. I did add the mushrooms because we all like them. However, I would have liked it to be a bit thicker. Mushrooms do add liquid, so if I do make it again, which I am not sure I would, I would add less broth. Also, I would add more paprika.
This meal had a really lovely combination of flavours. As Kate57 did, I froze this before adding sour cream. My fiance and I both loved the flavour and how healthy it is. I think I added a little more paprika than the recipe, but I'm not sure because I just kept adding it until it was right for us. Thanks for another great recipe for my freezer.
We very much enjoyed this meal. I did make it ahead of time without the sour cream and froze it for the week-end. Started the rice, re-heated the chicken paprikash, added the sour cream and walaa! dinner is served. Thank-you for something new to try.