4 hrs 50 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
You will need a 6-quart slow cooker for this recipe. Do not cook this soup on high power or the chicken will be too tough. Three 32-ounce cartons of chicken broth will yield 12 cups.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken breast halves (about 3 pounds)
- 2 cups egg noodles, cooked
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 11. Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs, skin-side down, and cook until skin is deep golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- 22. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot. Cook carrots, celery, and onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, thyme, and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add 1 cup broth to pot and scrape up any browned bits with wooden spoon. Transfer vegetable mixture, bay leaves, and remaining broth to slow cooker.
- 3Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and wrap in foil according.
- 4**Protecting Chicken Breasts: Wrapping the chicken breasts in a foil pack insulates the delicate white meat, helping keep it moist and tender. To make the foil pack, place the chicken on one side of a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Fold the foil over, shaping it into a packet that will fit into your slow cooker, then crimp to seal the edges. Place foil packet in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until breasts are cooked through and thighs are tender, 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
- 54. Remove foil packet from slow cooker. Carefully open foil and transfer chicken breasts to plate. Remove chicken thighs from slow cooker and transfer to plate. When cool enough to handle, shred meat into bite-sized pieces, discarding skin, bones, and excess fat.
- 65. Stir shredded chicken, cooked noodles, peas, and parsley into slow cooker. Cover and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Serve.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup(Cook's Country)
Serving Size: 1 (472 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.0
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 94.2 mg
- Sodium 254.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 30.1 g