Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Better Homes and Gardens
- 8 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 3 cups egg noodles, uncooked
- In 4 1/2- to 6-quart slow-cooker bowl, combine water, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, thyme, 4 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place whole chicken on top of vegetables. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook as manufacturer directs on low setting 8 to 10 hours or on high setting 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board. Discard bay leaves. Add noodles to slow-cooker bowl; cover with lid and cook (on low or high) 20 minutes.
- While noodles cook, remove and discard skin, fat, and bones from chicken; shred meat.
- Skim fat from soup and discard. Return chicken to soup to serve.
Made for My3Chefs 2009. This recipe is simple and I love the idea of making the soup in the crockpot. I use mine often so this was a nice touch for me as Fall is here. The soup falvor was good although I would have liked more garlic and something to zing it. My personal preferences. I also cook my noodles seperate so leftover soup can be eaten the next day or frozen. I will make this again as I like the idea of the whole roaster in the crock, usually I cut it up ahead. This is much easier. Thank you chef.