1/14 Photos of Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
8 hrs 20 mins
This is a classic chicken noodle soup recipe from a recent issue of Good Housekeeping that I'd like to try. Update: I have made this soup and really like it. I did use 3-4 skinless chicken breasts in place of the whole chicken, and I substituted 8 cups of canned chicken broth for the water. If you do this, you might want to add a little less salt unless you use a low-sodium chicken broth. I'm not sure why some reviewers say that their egg noodles dissolve, unless they are using the very fine egg noodles. I use a wide noodle and they are just fine after 20 minutes in the Crock-Pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups water or 8 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 cup carrot, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens
- 3 cups wide egg noodles, uncooked
- 1In 4-1/2 to 6-quart slow-cooker bowl, combine water, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, 4 t salt, 1/2 t pepper.
- 2Place whole chicken on top of vegetables.
- 3Cover slow cooker with lid and cook as manufacturer directs on low setting 8 to 10 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
- 4Transfer chicken to cutting board. Discard bay leaves. Add noodles to slow-cooker; cover with lid and cook (on low or high) 20 minutes.
- 5While noodles cook, remove and discard skin, fat and bones from chicken; shred meat.
- 6Skim fat from soup and discard. Return chicken to soup to serve.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (575 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.8
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 140.7 mg
- Sodium 1709.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 32.6 g