Recipe by Chef PotPie
This is a slow cooker version of the Chicken Marbella recipe from Manhattan's famous Silver Palate gourmet food shop and equally famous Silver Palate Cookbook. I've been making Chicken Marbella for company and special occasions for many years, and this slow cooker version is delicious and not as time consuming.
Top Review by mandabears
I used bone in chicken breasts, skinned and doubled the sauce. Otherwise stuck to the recipe except deleting the oregano. I used to make the original recipe from the the Silver Palate cookbook. This tastes the same and is much easier. We love it, thanks for posting.
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄2 cup prune
- 1⁄3 cup green olives, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken legs, split and skinned (4 drumsticks and 4 thighs, about 2 1/2 lb total)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5- to 6-qt slow cooker, whisk together the wine, brown sugar, oregano, 2 Tbsp of the vinegar, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Add the garlic, capers, prunes and olives and mix to combine.
- Add the chicken, nestling it among the olives and prunes. Cover and cook until the meat is tender and cooked through, on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours; gently stir in the remaining Tbsp vinegar and parsley.
- Thirty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to package directions. Serve the chicken, prunes, olives and cooking liquid over the rice.