Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This recipe came from the Crock Pot website but I have adapted it to my taste as I thought the original recipe was very bland. I was very surprised at how much my family and I enjoyed this dish. It is appropriate for a family dinner or is "fancy" enough for company.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup red wine (not cooking wine - something good enough to drink)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth, italian style
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies (or plain diced tomatoes if you want it less spicy)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
- Evenly spread olive oil in the bottom of the stoneware.
- Spread onions evenly over bottom of stoneware.
- Layer chicken over onions.
- Layer mushrooms and garlic over chicken.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients (flour through kosher salt) in a bowl and pour evenly over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours.
- Serve over pasta of your choice.
It was great. It was actually too spicy for me after the 5th bite but it had such a great flavor. Thanks for sharing.
I liked this one a lot, but I did alter it somewhat. First, to serve 5 adults and 2 children, I used an entire chicken, skinned and trimmed of most fat and butterflied. I added one skinless, boneless chicken breast. I used 8 oz of mushrooms pieces; a full can (28 oz) of Italian plum tomatoes; added a green pepper, sliced lengthwise; and used only 1 cup of red wine. Served with rice and over a bed of sauteed broccoli rabe.