Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs 30 mins
I made this recipe up by taking some chicken and some basic Mexican spices and throwing them all together for burrito night. It turned out great so we have them frequently.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- ripe tomatoes
- sour cream (I use reduced fat)
- monterey jack cheese
- Place chicken on a cutting board and chop into bite-sized strips. Place in a crockpot on high.
- Stir in the broth, onion, garlic, jalapenos, corn, salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, lime juice, oregano, and cilantro.
- Simmer on high for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken from crockpot and shred with two forks; and place back into crock pot.
- Place sliced red and green pepper into crock pot, cover and cook another 30 minutes (we still like to have a little crispness to our peppers so if you want them softer cook longer)
- Place equal portions of chicken mixture in the center of the tortillas. Sprinkle with whatever toppings you prefer, such as diced tomatoes, sour cream, lettuce and cheese.
- Fold burrito up 2/3 of the way to the other side over the chicken mixture. Fold sides in towards the center.
Great flavor and very easy. I did this on the stove and had dinner on the table quickly. Thanks!
This recipe is definitely a keeper! It's perfect for hot summer days, since it doesn't heat up your kitchen at all. It's also very easy to make. Thanks for a great recipe!
This is a delicious recipe-my family enjoyed this. In addition to the chicken, I made some refried beans to add to the burrito, making chicken and bean burritos. It makes a great meal with the chicken and all of the veggies. Thank you DoubleA's Mom for sharing your recipe.