Recipe by grammyof3
This is a clear chicken or turkey broth using left-over chicken or turkey with vegetables and barley. Since barley is a grain, I often eat this soup for breakfast instead of cereal. That way I get a headstart on my daily quota of vegetables too.
Top Review by tvichich
This recipe was fantastic. I added some diced tomatoes, spinach, broccoli, zucchinni. I like alot of vegies. I didn't use the bouillon cubes. I'm on a gluten free diet. I cooked it on high for 2 hours and slow cooked it for 6. Very delicious. I will definitely be freezing this and eating it for breakfast as well.Thank you for such a great recipe.
- 2 -3 quarts chicken broth (homemade or canned) or 2 -3 quarts turkey broth (homemade or canned)
- 2 cups diced meat
- 1 cup baby carrots, halved crosswise
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1 cup pearl barley (regular not quick cooking)
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 4 -6 chicken bouillon cubes, to taste for flavor and saltiness
- 1 cup sliced okra or 1 cup chopped cabbage or 1 cup sliced leek, whites
Directions See How It's Made
- The celery and onions can be reduced to 1 cup each and replaced by one or more of the optional vegetables.
- Place everything in a large crockpot with dial set on High; cook 1-2 hours.
- Reduce heat to Low setting; cook for 6-8 hours.
- Set crockpot on low and cook 10 hours.
- Add water or canned broth to thin the soup if it gets too thick.
- This can be frozen in individual portions and reheated as needed.