Recipe by Sage
This is a wonderful Barley soup made in the Slow cooker, but using the microwave to have in ready in 3 hours. Feel free to add any other vegetables that are available. As you can see no need for oil or butter.
Top Review by Chef1MOM-Connie
Sage it does not get any easier! This was made for dinner last Thursday night and DH and I thoroughly enjoyed your soup. I never did barley in a crock and was a bit worried but then said it must be ok. I did add in some potatoes as I had 2 cooked ones in the fridge and an extra chicken breast as DH loves lots of meat in his soup.. I did not add mushrooms (not allowed). We loved it. I did freeze 2 containers for future dinners. Served with fresh rolls and a spnach salad. A definite keeper. I will be making this in the summer as well because I won't have to heat up my house and we love soup! Made for Soup-Fest 2011
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, picked over and rinsed
- 8 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the chicken broth and pour into slow cooker.
- Place chopped vegetables; onions, garlic, celery and carrots in microwave container; microwave 5 minutes.
- Spoon into Slow cooker and cook on High for 2 hours,.
- Heat up mushrooms in microwave.
- Add rinsed barley,chicken and mushrooms, salt and pepper to the Slow Cooker.
- On high cook another hour.
- Serve with crackers.