Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a very similar recipe to the one that my Filipino neighbor live in Mother in Law made. Serve it with a large bowl of steamed rice to soak up this luscious sauce.
- 4 medium yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 5 inches piece ginger, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 lbs chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 3⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place the onions, garlic, ginger, and bay leaf in an even layer in the slow cooker.
- Remove and discard the skin from the chicken.
- Arrange the chicken in an even layer on top of the onion mixture.
- Whisk the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and pepper together in a medium bowl.
- Pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and falling off the bone, about 4-5 hours on low.
- Remove and discard the ginger pieces and bay leaf.