Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An easy and delicious breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Add a little pinch of cayenne for a kick! From the Cabot cheese folks!
- 7 cups hot water
- 2 cups polenta (not quick-cooking) or 2 cups coarse-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces)
- Mix water, polenta, olive oil, salt and pepper in slow cooker; whisk until well blended. Add cheddar cheese and whisk again.
- Cover and cook on high setting for about 2 hours, or until liquid is mostly absorbed. Stir together well (polenta should have consistency of thick cooked cereal).
- If not serving right away, pour onto buttered baking sheet with sides, spreading into an even layer; cover with plastic wrap and let cool. When ready to serve, cut into rectangles and sauté in nonstick skillet with olive oil until golden on both sides.
Yummy. I halved the cheese and it was still delicious. It is so easy to make in the crock pot! We ate it as mush with some crusty bread.
This was really good and soooo easy! We are on a diet so left out the cheese altogether and it was great. Thanks Sharon for posting it.
I love this!! I can't find "polenta" here in town so I had to use normal cornmeal (not even coarse ground). It worked out perfectly. The timing was bang on as well! I used one of those little sticks of medium cheddar for the cheese and was pleasantly surprised to actually taste it. This was great. Other than the sub for the cornmeal, I didn't change a thing. I am looking forward to frying this up for lunch tomorrow! This is going into my permanent book! Thanks so much.