Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe is a combination of the best bits of a few cassoulet recipes I've tried before. The simple combination of flavors in this dish becomes positively transcendent after a day of simmering. Serve this super-easy dish whenever true comfort food is called for!
- 2 links andouille sausages, diced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (if needed)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 -4 large carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 (14 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs (or regular breadcrumbs)
- Saute sausage in large skillet over medium heat till browned. Remove with slotted spoon.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to sausage drippings and saute till onions turn translucent, about 5 minutes, adding olive oil if needed to prevent sticking. Add thyme, rosemary, and sage and saute till fragrant, a minute or two.
- Combine onion mixture, sausage, beans, tomatoes, and stock in 3.5 quart (or larger) slow cooker. Cover and cook 8 hours on LOW.
- Just before serving, combine melted butter, parmesan, and bread crumbs, stirring till well coated. Sprinkle crumb mixture over each serving.