Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Yummy and less work than the real cabbage rolls. There is no rice in this recipe, because I don't like rice in my cabbage rolls.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb lean ground turkey or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 small head green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce, can add another 8- 15 oz if you like more sauce
- Spary crock pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crumble the raw ground turkey (or beef) and spread along bottom of crock pot.
- Add the onions, green pepper, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme and cabbage.
- Pour the diced tomatoes over top.
- Mix the sugar into the tomato sauce and pour over everything. If you like more sauce, add another 8-oz or 15-oz can of tomato sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or on high for about 4 hours.
- When done, remove lid and stir to mix well.
I liked this recipe with a few alterations. I added an extra 8 oz marinara sauce and 1/2 tsp italian seasoning to this. Also, 2 hours before it was done cooking I added 1/2 cup brown basmati rice. Very good, and very easy!!
Quick, easy recipe with great results. I have always loved stuffed cabbage but it's time consuming to prepare. This recipe tastes exactly like the original!! It's low in calories and has nutritional value! Thank you so much for this.
Great casserole and takes little time to put together. I used ground round, garlic powder, added two cans of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. I did add a layer of rice over the ground round because I use it when making stuffed cabbage. The only problem I had was I used a 6 quart crock pot and I didnt catch it before the sauce cooked out. It finished cooking on low in about 5 hours. The casserole was a thick stew type meal. Next time I make this I will use my smaller crock pot or keep a closer eye on the 6 quart. Thank you for posting this recipe Parsley! Made and reviewed for the TOTM Forums tag game It's Not Easy Being Green.