Slow-Cooker Blackberry Cordial
- In a large bowl, crush berries and sugar with potato masher.
- Add to slow cooker and stir in 1 qt water, peppercorns, bay leaves, and lemon zest.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 2-1/2 hours. Stir, increase heat to high, and cook 1-1/2 hours
- Strain through fine mesh sieve without pressing on berries. Stir maple syrup into blackberry juice and let cool.
- Stir in brandy, if using. Refrigerate up to 1 month.
- With brandy use as a cocktail with seltzer over ice, or as a sauce for pork or chicken.
- Without brandy, whisk with olive oil for a vinaigrette, or simmer until thick and pour over pancakes, waffles, or ice cream.