Prep 1 hr
Cook 7 hrs
This is pretty close to the way my mom used to make black eyed peas when I was a kid. I think she was trying to duplicate the way that my dad's mom made them for him. My family loves them, even the kids.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried black-eyed peas
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled bacon
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- Rinse black eyed peas, and follow package directions for quick soak (Boil for two minutes, then let sit for one hour). Rinse again, drain and place in slow cooker.
- Dissolve 3 chicken bullion cubes in a cup of hot water. (I usually put them in a coffee mug of water and microwave for about a minute and a half to dissolve.) Pour into the slow cooker. Add additional water if needed so that there is about 3/4 inch of liquid covering the peas.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir just to get them wet. Note: If using fresh instead of dried minced onion, the amount would be about 1/2 cup. I use dried because they are already minced very finely and my family doesn't even notice it's in there that way. I also use refrigerated minced garlic and crumbled bacon from costco. That way I always have the ingredients on hand. Add a little salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for about 7 hours. Taste and add additional garlic, salt and pepper if needed according to your preference. Serve with corn bread.
Made it today. Came out great! Added ham and packet of sazon. We'll see what my family thinks at dinner this evening, but I'm pretty sure they'll all agree.
I made these yesterday and they were a big hit. I used chicken broth instead of the water and bouillon cubes and a 4 ounce bag of Oscar Mayer Turkey Bacon Bits. This is a keeper, easy and delicious..
I am a new cook and have never cooked black-eyed peas. These were absolutely wonderful and everyone loved them. I plan to make some more this weekend!