Recipe by oriahma
This is pretty close to the way my mom used to make black eyed peas when I was a kid. I think she was trying to duplicate the way that my dad's mom made them for him. My family loves them, even the kids.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried black-eyed peas
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled bacon
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse black eyed peas, and follow package directions for quick soak (Boil for two minutes, then let sit for one hour). Rinse again, drain and place in slow cooker.
- Dissolve 3 chicken bullion cubes in a cup of hot water. (I usually put them in a coffee mug of water and microwave for about a minute and a half to dissolve.) Pour into the slow cooker. Add additional water if needed so that there is about 3/4 inch of liquid covering the peas.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir just to get them wet. Note: If using fresh instead of dried minced onion, the amount would be about 1/2 cup. I use dried because they are already minced very finely and my family doesn't even notice it's in there that way. I also use refrigerated minced garlic and crumbled bacon from costco. That way I always have the ingredients on hand. Add a little salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for about 7 hours. Taste and add additional garlic, salt and pepper if needed according to your preference. Serve with corn bread.