Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 25 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This is my old stand-by and I usually serve it along with quesadillas or chicken nachos, homemade salsa, guacamole, and tortilla chips. Ole!!
- 2 cups dried black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 10 cups water
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- Add beans and water to a large soup pot; bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Take pot off of stovetop; cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain beans.
- Add beans and the remaining ingredients to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours; adjust seasoning to taste by adding salt, pepper, cayenne, or hot sauce.
- Serve in individual soup bowls; may garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of fresh cilantro.
We really enjoyed this soup! Served it with quesadillas as you recommended. I didn't have veggie stock so I subbed an onion soup mix packet and a couple beef bullion cubes. I used a heaping tsp of dried cillantro, and didn't use the rotel, but used some plain chopped tomatoes...all just to fit what I had on hand. Also, I cooked for 6 hrs on high. Dinner was great and so was lunch today. thanks!
this was a hit at my potluck meeting last night! i added a bunch of cumin, because it seemed like the right thing to do. this is a good, basic recipe that i am sure to use again. thanks for sharing!