Recipe by ashlynt
This is my old stand-by and I usually serve it along with quesadillas or chicken nachos, homemade salsa, guacamole, and tortilla chips. Ole!!
Top Review by Clarely
We really enjoyed this soup! Served it with quesadillas as you recommended. I didn't have veggie stock so I subbed an onion soup mix packet and a couple beef bullion cubes. I used a heaping tsp of dried cillantro, and didn't use the rotel, but used some plain chopped tomatoes...all just to fit what I had on hand. Also, I cooked for 6 hrs on high. Dinner was great and so was lunch today. thanks!
- 2 cups dried black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 10 cups water
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Add beans and water to a large soup pot; bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Take pot off of stovetop; cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain beans.
- Add beans and the remaining ingredients to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours; adjust seasoning to taste by adding salt, pepper, cayenne, or hot sauce.
- Serve in individual soup bowls; may garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of fresh cilantro.