Recipe by JackieOhNo!
Cumin and fiery serrano chile infuse this simple soup as it cooks, and a dollop of sour cream provides a refreshing foil for the spicy flavors. For less heat, seed the chile first or use a milder pepper, such as jalapeno. You can also omit the chile altogether, if your prefer. You can soak the beans before you go to bed, then wake up and put everything together in the crockpot. You will have a hearty, satisfying soup that is low in calories and fat waiting for you when you come home from work.
Top Review by jen.driess26
This was awesome! I added shredded chicken to the recipe, and it was fantastic! Perfect spice and the sour cream to top it was great. I would recommend taking a bean-o before eating though.
- 453.59 g dried black beans
- 946.36 ml fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 473.18 ml chopped onions
- 236.59 ml water
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 serrano chili, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh lime juice
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 44.37 ml reduced-fat sour cream
- fresh cilantro stem (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain.
- Combine beans, broth, and next 5 ingredients in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 10 hours.
- Discard bay leaves. Stir in juice and salt. Ladle 1-1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each with 2 t. chopped cilantro. Top each serving with 1-1/2 t. sour crean. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.